Sunday 11 February 2018

Reunion meetings and 'Cro-nuts'...

'Cro-nut' part Croissant / part donut
Ever wondered what a 'cro-nut' was? I'd be driving over in Royal Oak and would see a sign tempting me to go and find out just what it was but because I'm usually on a roll from town to my home, I'd never quite had the time for a stopover to see what is was all about.

That was until yesterday when I went to our Reunion Komiti/Committee meeting at a cafe in Onehunga just down from Royal Oak and after our stimulating conversation and a lot of laughs, I decided to drive down further to make a U turn because traffic was quite busy for me to turn around.

That was when I again saw the sign and thought "I really shouldn't" because I'd just had an early morning workout and I was on my way home and I was also on my 6 weeks work fitness challenged and I hadn't had time for breakfast but because I was feeling in a curious mood and it was raining outside and I did have to make a 'U' turn, I thought I might as well park out and give it a go, for just this once as I probably wouldn't have the chance to do it again.

I asked the bakery owner what exactly was a 'cro-nut' and he said that it was a croissant and doughnut (hybrid) with custard and chocolate drizzled over it and with a sugar coating. I should have known then just from the description but I was still very interested and decided to give it a go as he said that it was very popular with his patrons. Well when I tasted it I realised that it really wasn't such a good idea as it was crispy but soaked in oil and because I'm not a big custard fan, although I could understand the interest in it, I knew it would definitely remain as a 'once in a blue moon' food item.

Not only because of the calories and fat saturation but it would be a killer diabetes kind of food that I definitely wouldn't recommend except to taste it as a one shot. So I drove myself home stimulated by our Komiti conversations but feeling a little sick in the stomach from having 'given it a go'. I guess even at my age you still learn from your mistakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment