Wednesday 30 May 2018

Acknowledging Fatu Feu'u eminent Samoan artist...

A drawing by Fatu Feu'u in Otahuhu library
 On this week of Samoan language week, I'd also like to feature a Samoan artist who's art I very much like and have been influenced by in some of my work i.e. that of Fatu Feu'u. I've seen his art feature in many Auckland Council collections and at Auckland University as well.

I like how his art tells a Samoan story with Samoan cultural designs and colours in his artwork which is interpretive. I think I've only seen Fatu Feu'u on one occasion but can't remember where the exact location was but I remember thinking that he was one of the forerunners as a pioneering Samoan artist who art was accepted by the establishment in being featured in art galleries and spaces around NZ and also overseas.

This particular drawing is featured at Otahuhu library which I saw last week when running workshops there. This particular piece is neat in that it seems to incorporate Samoan tatooing designs and even an interpretive picture of what looks like an eel.

And just back from sharing with a local school about some of the Samoan story books that I've written in English and then has been translated in Samoan by my husband, Tofilau Fritz, and tomorrow also sharing with another school about being a SamoaNZ author writing about Samoan stories that are important to me and for the next generations...

No comments:

Post a Comment