Saturday 19 May 2018

Frangipani whispers book launch...



It was such a blessing yesterday, to be surrounded by friends and family for our 13th book launch at Otahuhu library since I first started this writing and publishing journey in 2015.

It was a special occasion because one of the pioneers in education at the time for me, was Samoan teacher Afamasaga Agnes Rasmussen, as I knew her then and was teaching at Nga Tapuwae College, where I was a high school student and then when I became a first year teacher, she was the DP Deputy Principal at the time. I later met her in Samoa when she was a Principle of Chanel College and we later met in Auckland when she returned from Samoa and is now in our 'Mana Mangere writers collective'.


Having Afamasaga there was so neat as it reminded me of a time that I had many hopes and dreams and many of those have come true for me.

It was also very special to have some of my tauira (students) from my current Indigenous Research class come to support by coming to their first ever book launch as often these functions aren't open to the communities.

I was also able to read a couple of stories and poems and I also shared about some of the things that I remembered growing up in Mangere and some of those materials I have written into some of my short stories.

We now have plans for another book to be launched in Samoa in July and also our 'tala o le vavau' series of ancient Samoan stories to have another addition to the collection which is very popular with young and old.

Looking forward to more painting and burning the midnight oil for these plans to come into fruition...


No comments:

Post a Comment