Monday 9 October 2023

Digital gaming culture after Ph.D...

One of the things that I'm looking forward to checking out after my Ph.D. is submitted and I finish defending it, is having the time to be able to study some of the online games that my famz (younger generation) have been playing as teams on.

Some of the online games that I've watched them play with started with 'Fortnite' then moved onto 'Apex' which is where this edited version of one of my children's YouTube links is from. It's been real interesting to watch as they've conversed and played with gamers from all over the world depending on the server that they're hooked into.

I'm particularly interested as I've always been interested in games that require hand-eye coordination and back in the day it consisted of games such as badminton or squash, baseball or softball, soccer (although that's more foot co-ordination) but you know what I mean.

The gaming culture is quite different though and there's still gaming etiquette and I've been fascinated when my famz get into teams and go for gold. Which often means eliminating the opposing squad in stealth fashion. I'm not into the violent nature of these games but one does wonder if you were put into a real life scenario whether some of this information would be useful to know.

Anyway, it's been very interesting for me to view as a 'Boomer' in watching how the next generation (my children) engage as individuals but also as a family group in these digital scenarios. I've seen team work, team building, a lot of shared laughs, a lot of shared critiques and honing of this hand-eye co-ordination until it's all synched. Oh well, something 'fun?' to look forward to after all the seriousness of a thesis...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment