Friday 13 October 2023

"Underdog" stories...

 

I received this book in the mail, a couple of weeks ago from a Group that I've joined that's been good for the soul. This particular book is by Dean Graziosi and it's an interesting read about being the "underdog".

Now that's where it gets really interesting because I remember back at primary school (in the 1970s) that I really felt at a disadvantage. Back then most of my teachers were European and at home we spoke Samoan so there was already a massive difference in valuing different types of knowledge.

I remember as a kid thinking that there were all these new words that I was learning that were really important to learn so that I would understand what teachers were talking about.

So I made it my mission to learn those new words in stealth mode. So much so, that students in class started thinking that I must be smart because I was reading like crazy and was scoring well on a lot of tests in class. Plus I wasn't too bad at art and there were two us who would be called on to draw pictures and borders for other children's book's title pages. (Yes, I was showing promise as an artist then.)

That continued through to university with people thinking that I was some sort of smart but I put it to my parents teaching me to pay close attention in school (not just there to eat my lunch) and that most things were worth learning about and to put my best foot forward as such.

It didn't help that I then started wearing glasses (short sighted) when I turned 12 - 13 years with the addition of braces! now I could have had a real ugly duckling complex, but I didn't. I just became more confident in wearing glasses, in that I could actually see detail but I just didn't smile for the camera - something for which I now regret in not having any photos of me in braces for my children to see.

So back to the book. It's a pretty neat book and having listened to some of Dean Graziosi's seminars, I'm not surprised that he's become a New York best selling author and multi-millionaire. He's in the knowledge industry and it's an area that I'd would be interesting to check out a little later down the line.

Yeap! I've definitely felt like an 'underdog' at times in my life but it hasn't stopped me, like Dean, from checking out the many possibilities and being creative about it. I'm savouring this book and taking my time as many of the stories about the huge disadvantages that he had to overcome in order to get to where he is and that's serving people.

I'm also interested that he and Tony Robbins sponsor the 'Operation Underground Railroad' to eradicate children trafficking. It's hard to believe that adults can traffick children but there are some 'sick' people out there who need taking down and as an advocate of the organisation  and movie that was out earlier "Sound of Freedom" it's good to know that there are good people supporting them.

So if you haven't had a chance to watch the movie or read this book? I would highly recommend both to you. The film is a hard watch. It's difficult to believe that grown men would sexually abuse children for their own self-gratification but if there's anything that we can do about it, we should definitely send them behind bars. And supporting organizations and individuals such as these are important to recognize in doing our part...

No comments:

Post a Comment