Saturday 23 March 2024

49th PolyFest and Pacific writers...

 

This year boasts the 49th year of the PolyFest (abbreviated from Polynesian Festival). It's the largest Polynesian Festival of it's kind around the world.

I remember in its earlier years when it was hosted in schools but now it's gotten so big that they've even allowed live streaming so that more people can watch the competitions.

This year, I've given it a miss as I have so much work to get through, this weekend, but the 4-day festival (originally only one day) that has been drawing crowds from around.

My youngest is watching her friends perform on the different stages i.e. Cook Islands, Samoan, Tongan, Fijian etc. with so much variety of items in the competition and non-comp' stages to watch. Going to the festival can be a mission with trying to find carparking near the local site but the food stalls is another reason why so many people enjoy watching the performances and eating so many varieties of Pacific foods and other delicacies.

Instead, I'll be working on some writing, this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to see my name mentioned in the catalogue of Canterbury University's Pacific Literature Library website. For me, as a self-published Samoan writer, it's an honour to be included and credited as a Pacific author alongside other amazing Pacific writers as listed.

It's something that I know that as a growing teen in South Auckland, I'm chuffed to see in that it validates the many experiences that I've written about and in not going through the usual publishing routes that many have taken. It's a blessing and an honour and looking forward to adding many more books to the list...

No comments:

Post a Comment