Friday 28 May 2021

Happy 84th Birthday to Papa...


 Today, we celebrated the 84th birthday of my special Papa at a local Restaurant with three generations blessed by his presence and inspired by his life's story of leaving Samoa in 1957 at the young age of 20, to forge a new life in Auckland, NZ from his homeland of Samoa.

It's been a real blessing to have witnessed so many milestones in his life and when asked by one of his grandchildren as to what was the best year/decade of his life, he said that it was the year that he met my mum in 1962 when he was just 25 years old and she was 23.

Well, they say that the rest is history but had he not been working on the Tofua boat that sailed regularly from Samoa to NZ with passengers (and bananas which is why it was called the 'banana boat') he would not have met my beautiful mother (to be) who was travelling to Samoa for the first time and it was love at first sight.

It's been a blessing to have been mentored by both my parents in the things that I've learned about 'tu ma aganu'u fa'aSamoa' i.e. customs and protocols of Samoa and I've still got so much to learn but have been blessed by them as guiding beacons in my Christian life as well for which I am so thankful to God for parents such as them...

No comments:

Post a Comment