Tuesday 24 February 2015

Auckland Museum Visit

Auckland Museum South Entrance near field

Close up outside Southern Entrance
Visited Auckland Museum recently with my daughter and had a great time viewing the various displays. It was quite busy with many tourists from an overseas Cruise ship, other schools and various other international visitors as well as locals like us.

We were able to view the "Wearable Art" section which was quite fascinating with all the various costume ideas that people had designed and some designs were especially sophisicated with some outfits made out of plastics, wood, wire etc. with some amazing colourful designs.

We also got to view the Maori cultural show which was quite entertaining in showing various performances that were indigenous to Maori like the poi, taiaha, sticks etc. I liked the way that they were very informative of the various movements that were made and the 'warriors' were quite funny and the 'maidens' lovely as well as their voices and dances.

We got to get a full view of each of the floors although somewhat brief but I think my favourite sections still including: Centennial street which was sign posted as 1886 Auckland; I like the Volcano simulation which reminded me of being in Samoa during the 2009 Tsunami in Samoa; I also liked the interactive sections for children i.e. "The wierd and wonderful", "Oceans" section etc.

There was also a section on the relationship between Samoa and New Zealand early in the colonial history that Samoa shared with New Zealand. I didn't really get to view it in detail and may try and get back out there again to do a bit of research on what interesting facts I can learn from that period.

I would definitely encourage local Aucklanders to take the time out to view some of the current exhibitions. I think it's free to Aucklanders but a donation is always helpful but you do have to pay for some of the shows. I'll keep posting up some of the exhibitions that were particularly interesting in the coming days...

No comments:

Post a Comment