Friday 27 February 2015

Retro Nostalgia


My mum had a set like this back from the 1960s early 1970s
Museum memorabilia from different eras
One of the neat things about visiting the museum was that there was some different displays that reminded me of when I was a child i.e. I remember back before cans of drink were produced that we only ever drank from glass bottles and we used to collect the bottles then for recycling with money received.

The dinner set on the right was one that my mum still has a few plates left. My retro collector and expert sister says that they're now a collectors' item and I particularly remember them as the yellow knobs reminded me of egg yolks as a child and I wondered why the designers did that.

Other items of interest I also remember seeing at the Maritime Museum but that is another story and I haven't visited there in a few years but it is interesting that there is a big interest with people in their 20s and 30s of the retro era which was the 1950s to 1970s roughly before I was born and when I was younger.

It's neat that such things get displayed for nostalgic reasons but also for an understanding of what was prevalent in that time and place, triggering memories for those of us who were around at the time and a learning journey for our children and generations to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment