Saturday 14 February 2015

Quick Trifle Recipe for Valentines Day

A Happy Valentines Day Recipe
My Granma, in my teens, showed me how to make a trifle and this recipe I've perfected over the years to my own taste and quick to complete. Funnily enough, I hadn't made trifle in years as my elder sister starting making it for family occasions and so I didn't need to make them. This recipe also includes quick hints from her and have added them to my recipe.

Ingredients:

Sponge cake
Jam (to taste)
whipped cream
ready made custard in cartoon
1 can of peaches
1 can of pineapple
1 can of mixed fruit
kiwi fruit
strawberries
Marshmellows
chocolate flake/100s and 1000s

Method:
a) I use a medium sized glass bowl and add a layer of cream to the bottom
b) I then will surround the side of the bowl with a line strawberries so that you can see layers of the trifle filling from the outside with cream surrounding it.
c) I spread jam over the sponge cake and then tear the sponge to add a layer of the cake on top of the cream (jam side up). You can see the sponge layer also on the side of the bowl.
d) I then sprinkle a can of mixed fruit on top of the sponge and wetting a little with the syrup from the can but not too much. I make sure that there is a layer of fruit showing from the bowl's side.
e) I then add a layer of custard across the top ensuring that you can see the layer on the bowl's side.
f) I add a layer of peach on top and on the bowl side.
g) I add another layer of jammed sponge across the top and on the side of the bowl.
h) Keep adding layers of jammed sponge / cream or custard / fruit until you get to the top of your bowl.
i) cover the entire top with cream.
j) decorate to taste with cut strawberries and kiwifruit, 100s and 1000s or chocolate flake. I have used marsh mellows here for my middle child's recent birthday.
k) Wa Lah!

If you do try out this easy trifle recipe. Please do add comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment