Thursday 19 February 2015

Day 1 Aganuu Samoa class, 18 Feb 2015
Was very blessed last night to attend our first of 10 weeks aganuu Samoa classes hosted by Tanoa'i Michael and Tu'u'u Mary (my beloved's cousin) at Martain Hautus, Onehunga. Both amazing presenters who teach with a lot of passion and humility. It was such a privilege to attend with the many others who shared their reasons for attending. For me I was in tears because it's been something that I have grappled with for over 15 years.

I shared with the class about how in the year 2000, I received my matai title of Faalavaau with a saofa'i (kava ceremony) in Siufaga, Falelatai my dad's village in Samoa.A few years earlier my dad had approached me about another title but I wasn't interested at the time with my attention on my career with no need for a matai title. It wasn't until my dad was very ill that I knew that if anything happened to him that family would ask me to consider it and then it would have been too late.

So when my dad asked again, I agreed and we made preparations. My parents left first with my little sister and I arrived later (a day after meeting,unbeknownst to me, my husband to be). Afterwards upon arriving back in NZ, I asked my dad for what I should learn and he said that I didn't need to worry about anything and later he explained that I just needed to listen and observe as he had learnt.

I could understand Samoan well but not the metaphorical Samoan chiefly language that was often used in matai settings that I would attend so I pretty much gave up. However, after meeting my fiances and later husband's family and they would greet me with respectful terms, I would be so embarrassed and ashamed because I didn't know what to say in reply and have been silent for many years.

But finally last night, I felt released from my fears as I began to learn about so many of the things that I have wanted to learn. It's difficult for my parents because like many pioneering immigrant Samoan parents at the time, it was to assimilate and many saw education in English as a key to success. My dad never did want us to speak English at home but then in not learning Samoan formally English easily took over as my preferred language. It was sad to think that I had degrees in English but not in my mother tongue.

Now in this class, I feel that I can finally learn about some of the missing pieces of my culture as a NZ born/raised Samoan and I don't feel as lonely in many sharing the same feelings of alienation to  our own culture and also now realising that many of our children, our next generation, are also going through similar experiences unless we are able to somehow stem the tide.

This class gives us hope but even more, it gives us much needed knowledge and is a practical course that stretches us to learn our faaSamoa with an understanding from the English translation. I would highly recommend this class to all NZ/Aussie born or raised Samoans. After the 10 weeks I think I will never be the same. Thank you God for this privilege and God bless the team who're putting it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment