Saturday 21 March 2015

Book launch - A dream come true!



A family pic with my parents, cousins, husband and family

Friends and colleagues at the launch
Family and Friends at the launch
Finally caught up with sleep and recovered after the book launch on Thursday night. Wow! an answer to prayer and dream come true. There are so many people to thank as it was so special in having my parents there before they flew out to Samoa this morning. It was such a blessing to have them there as they were very much a part of my book writing history and are so aware of the long journey that I've taken to finally get the first story out in print. They also helped with the catering and my dad the constant organiser helped the day to run smoothly.

I also have to thank my dearest husband Fritz, and more patient half, who took over the vigil of my dream and patiently listened to my wishes and thoughts over the 15 years that we've been together. He was the MC and after taking Toana'i and Tu'u'u's Samoan language classes, it gave him much confidence to lauga (speech making) in Samoan using the chiefly Samoan language. Wow! what a feat accomplished. Love you babe! And our children were amazing with Glorielle on sales, Christelena helping out and Iriyahz our little runner who just loves to run.

And it was also a blessing having my cousin who was newly blessed as Pastor Tuimalu Derick to bless the day and the launching of the book. My sister Maria for helping out with the organising things when I was way too busy. Special love goes out to my two aunties Mafa and Talosaga, who have been a part of my life since I was very young and through whom I met my husband Fritz :) My sis/cousin Lita, (neice) Mariana and (nephew) Caleb who helped at the reception afterwards. It was also neat to have my uncle Afioga Tofaeono to be present too as well as my Aunty Lepa as my grandma Asia could not attend.

Many friends have been a part of my journey i.e. Cecily who has been my prayer partner over the years as we've prayed about my writing and Sita (principal of Rise Up Academy) where my one of my daughters attends. Lupe and Alice, from youngest child's Aoga Faataitai (Samoan pre-school) who gave me 2 beautiful flower bouquets (I just love flowers!) and a beautiful handmade flower bouquet took my breath away. I felt very loved, appreciated and spoiled on the day.

To my PIC Mangere (Pacific Islanders Presbyterian church) who acted as my village growing up, I thank Maria and Palale (Lupe and Alice too) with Tenaia and Dayna. It was a blessing to have some of the students from the middle school that my older child attends come too. 

A big thanks to my friends and colleagues at Te Wananga o Aotearoa, Academic advisors Janice and Celia, the latter who became a dear friend that I also shared my dream of writing with. And my colleagues Penny (who most recently became a prayer partner over this dream), and Dean (another writer who shares the dream).

More thanks also to Faye (our manager) who gave me the time and people to set up with Aloma (who makes things happen!) Meree, Mele our resident JP (Justice of the Peace), Lidu our Chinese Maori speaker, Uma who's our Fijian Indian librarian. And other Pasifika work colleagues: Sally, Liz (a manager and ex-student of my 1991 English class) Rosie (church friend at work too) and Justin, my Maori colleague who blew the conch shell to start the proceedings. Much love goes out to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment