Thursday 26 March 2015

Still more launch pics!

Cover of my first Indie/self published bilingual Samoan picture book

Our Samoan banana celebratory cake - Yum
 These pics were taken by my sis/cuz Lita and am so thankful as was so busy and unable take pics at the launch and thought I'd missed out but very much appreciate my cuz snapping up pics. So grateful.

Have been so blessed too by many who have purchased the book as I wasn't sure how it would be seen although I did have faith that it was a good thing. Something that had God's hand in it.

The English text I wrote towards the end of the year when I was considering publishing my first play and poetry collection but it just didn't seem right.

I also bought the canvas towards the end of the year and during Christmas started painting the borders. I had initially approached another visual artist to do the artwork but found out that there needed to be a separate contract for the illustrator and I didn't have the resources for that so decided to start painting.

By the beginning of the year, I had completed the borders and left it there as I didn't have the confidence to paint scenery. It wasn't until I spoke to Maria at PBT Pacific Business Trust that the bells went off that I should just try.

The cover of the book was the very first painting that I undertook. I knew that I wanted to have a beach scene and a picture of Sina as well as a Samoan faleo'o (traditionally made Samoan small house). After completing it, it gave me confidence to try and illustrate the rest. And I guess I can say that the rest is history.
Our English chocolate mud celebratory cake - Yummy!

I think for me that this celebration was really for me about the breakthrough that I've had in being able to finally publish after many years of thinking about it.

It was also about celebrating with my loved ones especially, who have supported me in blind faith whilst I've continuously talked about it.

Now I can finally say that my goal has been accomplished but it won't stop there as I hope to continue sharing stories and bringing smiles to faces as parents share the story with their children, Grandparents to grandchildren, teaches to classrooms of children in Early childhood education settings, schools etc. etc.

If there's one thing I've learnt from my years in writing, that you never give up and to trust and have faith in a God who knows and cares about our dreams too.

P.S. If you would like to take a pic of yourself reading with your child, please share and will post onto my blog. Thanks in advance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment