Friday 27 March 2015

Promoting "Sina and the Tuna"...


Coffee Table book
It's been an amazing experience so far in the comments that I've received about the book. As an Indie/self publisher, I decided to have a limited edition first printing to see how it went. It looks as if it's about to be sold out without even having to promote it.

I think it has to do with the wonderful people who have seen and read the book and can see the dream that I had many years about the importance of such stories to pass on to our next generations.

Another interesting phenomenon that I have come across was in talking to a NZ born Samoan young woman and she spoke about how it was the first time that she had heard about the story in reading it to her children. Wow! that blew me away as I took it for granted that most of us (in our 20s+) knew about this story.
Sina with "Sina and the Tuna"

Cuz/sis Lita with "Sina and the Tuna" and my mum
It makes me think about how important these stories are to pass on to our next generations and the urgency of ensuring that they don't miss out as the stories are actually moral tales that speak about a lost time and the values that were apparent for Samoans in those times and perhaps still are.

So yes, it can be a 'coffee table book' (although the printer initially didn't think it could be) and thank you to the ladies pictured above who have promoted the books on their Facebook pages. You rock too! but it is to share these stories without reservation on some of the ideas that are important to us as Samoans whether we were born here, or we visit there, or have never seen a coconut tree. These stories are yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment