Sunday 1 March 2015

Beautiful Hibiscus

Beautiful yellow hibiscus

Lovely fushia pink hibiscus
The hibiscus is one of my favourite tropical flowers and I have been painting these for such a long time that have decided to name my company and my first self published poetry collection (to be launched around mid year - Lord willing) after this beautiful flower. These pics were taken of these newly planted at a local swimming pool. I guess to reflect many of the pacific patrons that frequent the pools.

I remember in Samoa, when we were visiting and I was quite young, girls would often decorate their houses by picking the flower and securing the flower to a thin stick which would then be displayed in bunches in homes. It doesn't have an strong scent as does the rose but they just remind me of my roots in Samoa.

Today is the first official day of Autumn/Fall in New Zealand and already I'm feeling the nippy mornings and the quickly darkening nights. Summer just seems too short of only maybe 2 months with rain dispersed within those months too. Just getting too cold too fast.

But these beautiful flowers remind me that a 3 and a half hour plane ride would take us to sunny Samoa and I would get to see these beautiful flowers in all their brilliance and visit my family too as my parents will soon be leaving for those sunny shores. Am looking forward to painting more hibiscus and will post them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment