Sunday 12 July 2015

"Dancing with the stars" - dance freestyle to 'Chandelier'

The Bachelor NZ - Siobhan Marshall and Charlie Billington dance freestyle to 'Chandelier'

Since being very little, I've always loved to dance and have enjoyed seeing my children enjoy dancing as well, even my youngest sister is pretty good as well. I guess we get it from learning and watching different dance styles be it Pacific dance, or learning the Samoan sasa or church contemporary dances, dance is definitely a part of our lives.

But this is the first season that I've actually watched "Dancing with the stars" NZ as although I love different forms of dance, I hadn't really taken the time to watch it but this time I thought I would and I've been pleasantly surprised.

I must say that I did laugh when I first watched Simon dance with his mouth wide open and everything he looked like he had two left feet but it's been neat to see his transformation into one of the judges favourites.

Buy the freestyle couples dance that I particularly enjoyed tonight was the dance to Sia's "Chandelier" which I found an enchanting and haunting song that my sister introduced to me last year. And to see it in a choreographic dance was simply beautiful compared to the movie video which looks quite disturbing or maybe more disconcerting - but I do like the song.



It reminds me of the Australian comic romance movie "Strictly Ballroom" (1992) that I watched back in 1992 which had one of my all time favourite songs "Love is in the Air". In fact, I had just started teaching high school at the time and I remember volunteering to look after the student council after the former teacher resigned after they'd gotten in trouble for having trouble at their last school Ball.

So if you haven't ever had the opportunity to see a movie about this form a dance then here's a short YouTube clip or tune into the final of "Dancing with the stars" next week to see the winners. In fact everyone's a winner when they're dancing...





It wasn't long before I found myself with the student council organising the ball and in one of the years the theme was "Strictly Ballroom" and the students went all out with some amazing costumes and of course the teachers went along with the theme too.

No comments:

Post a Comment