Wednesday 22 July 2015

Geographical land features tied to ancient myths and legends...

In working at an indigenous tertiary educational institute for Maori, for the past 5 years, I've come to appreciate some of the beautiful arts that are a representational of the values and treasures that Tikanga (cultural protocols) Maori possesses. I particularly enjoy listening and singing their himene (hymns or spiritual songs) as well as singing their waiata (songs) and watching their various dance styles.

I was reminded today by my younger sister of a song that has a beautiful melody sung in Te Reo Maori (Maori language) she has also started studying here after working a 'gap year' and falling in love with the values and the learning environment much as I enjoy after having been in mainstream (non-indigenous) for most of my educational experiences growing up.

As a geographer, I have come to an understanding of the special relationship that indigenous cultures had with the land. This is evident in my first two printed books that look at the understanding of Samoans in the origins of the coconut tree in "Sina and the Tuna" (2015) and the origins of the landmass and the name of "Mount Vaea and the tears of Apa'ula" (2015).

This song too is about Tangaroa which in Maori myths and legends is expressed as the god of the seas. Samoa too has its myths and legends that are tied to important geological/geographical features with precious understandings of a time gone by.

I hope you enjoy it despite the language difference...

No comments:

Post a Comment