Wednesday 15 July 2015

Professional & Personal development in Hamilton...

 One of the things about being in the education field that is really important is keeping up to date with professional development. That's one of the things that I picked up as an undergraduate at the University of Auckland upon starting my studying journey and then working in the field of education. It's a must as I've continued working and learning in the field.

I remember as a child growing up that I thought you had to be really smart to be a teacher and would have to learn so many things in order to teach. I now know that it's really about knowing, as a teacher, about how to access information and being able to disseminate that information to students effectively that makes one a really good teacher.

So for the next 3 days I'll be with my colleagues in Hamilton catching up with other professionals of our organisation who are flying in from all over New Zealand nationally to catch up and learn more about our roles in Student Support for our tertiary education organisation.

Over the years, I've found that as I continue to develop myself professionally that I benefit in growing personally especially through critical thinking as I learn about new ideas and shifts in thinking paradigms. I've certainly seen major shifts in mainstream education over the last 20 years since leaving secondary school teaching but still think that there are still major hurdles to overcome but that's probably my PhD thesis in the making.

But suffice to say that the next 3 days I hope to be challenged to learn new things or if not, to challenge the status quo that's now effective for students in order to grow and learn as an effective organisation and about how we can improve, develop and learn to do things that will be more effective and beneficial not only for our students but also for ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment