Monday 2 November 2015

"Born to dance" movie review


 While most people were out "trick or treating" on Halloween night, my family went to watch "Born to Dance" NZ's first Hip Hop movie. I think it works a treat with teens into Hip Hop and the current scene in music but I wanted to see more of Stan Walker's character and a little more of Paris Goebel.

For a NZ film, I thought it did pretty well in developing the story about a young South Auckland Maori guy who wants to join a top world class hip hop dance crew. Although I couldn't figure out what 'Kura' stood for until I realised that it was short for "Papakura" which is another South Auckland suburb.

I couldn't help likening it to "Once were warriors" the classic Maori movie that came out in the 1980s and how far we have come as I was able to point out different streets in Otara, the bus stop at Otahuhu and the bus stop at Akonga which must be like what some Americans must do. It's no longer about being rejects of society but more now about carving own paths in society.

But overall I enjoyed the atmosphere, the fact that although his character dad wanted him to be in the army - the dad changes his mind when he sees just how good his son is in hip hop dance. Although I couldn't help thinking that the Tongan looking dad looked nothing like his Maori son unless his partner/wife had been Maori with Maori artefacts in the walls but it was just that clear Pasifika/Maori delineation that I was aware of.

So well done on the makers of "Born to dance". We need more movies like this where local people can see themselves on movie screens and not having to always relate to USA or even white NZ societies issues and problems.  This movie helped people to see that South Auckland urban stories are also relevant and need to be shared on a global scale. High recommended...

No comments:

Post a Comment