Tuesday 3 November 2015

Samoan Consulate general offices in the heart of Mangere

I've been keenly watching the building of the newly relocated Samoan Consulate general offices next door to my workplace and have been amazed at how large it is. In fact, I give it credit that it's even larger than the WINZ (Work and Income NZ - government's social welfare offices).

In the 1970 - 1990s (before digital technology and emails etc.), my family would have to drive out to Samoa House out in the Central city on K Rd and would then have to find parking (which is naturally horrendous in the central city) and then have to traipse all the way back after a 90 minute return drive. That's now going to be cut to just 5 mins down the road.

Lucky for me, I'm a dual citizen in having both Samoan and New Zealand passports. I even know of family members whom have never relinquished their Samoan citizenship and have chosen to live in NZ with their NZ residency stamp on their Samoan passport for many years (till death do us part).

This new building certainly seems to make a bold statement in its large presence as there is a large population of Samoans living in South Auckland and particularly in Mangere and to have my work place next door as a Maori tertiary institute seems to pale in comparison as the new Samoan Consulate general office is built on an incline which heightens its appearance.

I'm hoping to launch a book from there next year (if they let me that is) and I'd have to really brush up on my Samoan language as it would probably be one from of my upcoming Samoan picture book ancient history series that I'm hoping to release from next year.

And with our Samoan trip just around the corner some 18 days and counting. To Samoan and beyond...




No comments:

Post a Comment