Sunday 1 May 2016

Behind the wheel - Mangere stylez...

A few weeks ago, I signed up a family member to join the "Behind the Wheel Mangere" promotion to assist in trying to help unlicensed family members to gain their licence and last week we received free Tshirts (for the first 100 registered members), a folder, info and a list of classes and organisations that run them.

The website is: www.behindthewheel.nz and it's easy to register in needing a licensed "Coach" (that's me), a "Wingman" (that's my beloved) and a "Rookie" (that' my unlicensed family member) which is reflected in the Tshirts.

They are running Learner Theory; Restricted Theory and Practical assessment and Full theory workshops at the "Pukapuka Community Hall" near Te Wananga o Aotearoa; Mangere East Community Centre; Papatuanuku Marae (on Robertson Road). You just need to call them to book the sessions and say that you are a registered "behind the wheel" member.

Unfortunately, I missed the big launch and the get together they promoted last month but have been so busy that I have only just caught up and now encouraging my family member to start the courses this week.

This is so different from when I was 15 and couldn't wait to get my full licence for which I did even before my older sisters got theirs! In fact, I remember having to take my father's driving test after actually getting my driver licence at 15 cos he wanted to make sure that I was driving safe on the road and he also gave me a few hints that I still practice or remember today.

And now it's my turn to practice coaching another family member before coaching my own children just like my dad did - and boy his driver licence was much harder to pass than with the traffic department at the time... (and I'll probably do the same.)

No comments:

Post a Comment