Friday 6 May 2016

Certificate in Indigenous Research (Free course starting July)...


One of my references that I used for my Master's exegesis and will be referring to in the course.

 I just received good news yesterday that I've been accepted to teach a new "free" course at Te Wananga o Aotearoa (Mangere Campus) called "Certificate in Indigenous Research" starting in Semester B - July 2016 for 36 weeks

This is exciting news as when I joined Te Wananga o Aotearoa in 2010, I also joined up immediately with the Tau Ora initiative which was a fitness challenge and I went all out and within a month or two I was pregnant with our "miracle" child and gave birth to our youngest child the following year.

After having promised myself and vowed that I wouldn't teach until she was of school age as I wanted to dedicate time to nurturing her and allowing priority time for her and my other children to grow. So when she started school in March of this year, I knew it was time to start sharing with the studies started and I thank God for this neat opportunity.

The importance of this course is that I never got trained in research or different methodology when I first started Auckland Uni and many things have changed since then. The details of the course are as below and it will also give me a chance to share some of experiences as a NZ Samoan and the experience of many Maori indigenous researchers in the field.

It will also provide a good grounding for those who want to continue to enrol in the Master of Applied Indigenous knowledge degree which is a level 8-9 (2 year) programme that I would be able to support tauira to enrol for with a portfolio in the following year.
Here are the details for the programme...
Certificate in Indigenous Research (level 4) Fees Free - 36 weeks
Te Wananga o Aotearoa (Manukau - Mangere Campus)
Starts semester B in July 2016
Programme overview

Are you involved in research and want to work safely and positively with indigenous peoples and tangata whenua? Do you want to learn how to carry out research for your own people?

In this programme you'll get an introduction to indigenous research skills. Contribute meaningfully to your community and society finding answers to questions that need to be asked. Prepare yourself for work or the research requirements of any other qualification.

 

You'll learn about

Māori and indigenous research issues

cultural aspects of indigenous groups and how these relate to research

guiding research principles based on Māori/indigenous cultural aspects

western and indigenous research, and how Western research practice affects Māori research today

apply āhuatanga and tikanga Māori to an informal research activity.

You'll know how to

recognise and describe indigenous research concepts, tools and frameworks at an introductory level

apply indigenous research concepts to a research activity

frame a research question

apply appropriate research tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment