Saturday 14 May 2016

Social responsibility with begging in public spaces ...

Image result for begging handToday, I felt good as I walked out of the store after withdrawing $ that I'd put into my purse. I saw some nuns sitting with a white bucket on a little table next to the store door, I then heard that still quiet voice and knew I needed to put that $ into the bucket. This time, without hesitation, I put it in the bucket, smiled and walked out of the store. That $ was only supposed to buy a treat for my children but I didn't really need it because when I walked into our home, my husband had already bought it for them and they were happy.

What can say? in the 1980s, as a teen, I don't remember seeing many people asking/begging for $ in public spaces and I remember in the late 1990s, when I was travelling in Vancouver, I saw a War veteran standing at a streetlight intersection in Vancouver city with a sign on him asking for money and then being told by some of the PhD students that I was visiting at the time that there was a big problem with homelessness and poverty and they showed me the areas where they would look for a place to sleep at night.

In NZ, it's now become commonplace in different public spaces, from window washers asking for $, people busking (although sometimes different as some see it as a service for the public and not as begging) then there are those who stand or sit outside shops who ask for $ or are silent with a bowl, hat, tin can requesting $ support from passersby or strangers.

The question was asked this morning on a local radio station about the social responsibility that we have as Christians, or as people who may not be in a similar situation but do we then turn a blind eye on those who are going through often difficult situations that they find that this the only other alternative that they have to gain some $.

I don't know the answer or solution to this situation as I hear there is going to be some legislation that may be passed soon that would try to ban or fine those who are begging in public spaces. I don't know about you but sometimes I know I have that still quiet that asks me to give and from now on, I know I need to listen to it... will you?...

No comments:

Post a Comment