Saturday 12 August 2023

Draft PhD thesis finished with the polishing to start...

 

Wow! still in celebration mode with last week's graduation and now I have just completed my nine draft chapters (with more time for cleaning up) for handing in my doctoral thesis next month for examination.

Now the real work begins in polishing, checking my referencing and cross referencing. Visualizing the thesis as a whole, as I've been working on chapter by chapter but it is such a sigh of relief to finally have completed the bulk of the work.

I must say that it's taken the better part of five years to complete. Starting in 2018, and then having trouble with a first supervisor that I just didn't gel with on our ideas. 

That was an important hurdle to overcome as you have to get the right relationship with a complementary supervisor otherwise it won't work and if you don't gel on the offset then it won't work at all. I had to ask for another as I knew that the work that I wanted to do was far more important to me than it was to him.

Anyway, having the COVID-19 global pandemic hit in 2020 then trying to figure out how I was going to overcome this. Then the deep loss and mourning for my late father and my cultural mentor did not help but with the self-less question that my dad asked in his last weeks of when my studies would end. 

I knew that it was permission for me to continue the studies after he had departed and he gave me the impetus to continue beyond the vale. I wanted to make him proud knowing that I had finished (still finishing) something that we had started together.

So here I am, at the brink of finishing this thesis off. I feel like I've come a long way with still more to complete but with a lil' celebrating along the way like with the pavlova above. Yes, way to sugary but nice to start with and then finish with a cup of green tea...




No comments:

Post a Comment