Tuesday 8 August 2023

Tukurua - Pacific Cuisine & Pasifika Theatre...

 

On the weekend, I went with my family to the Viaduct Events centre and witnessed an immersive performance of Pasifika theatre and Pasifika cuisine.

There were about 5 courses as we sat down and as a party of six and watched a theatre performance of an old Maui or Polynesian ancient story of Ti'iti'i and his quest for sacred knowledge.

It reminded me of my own quest for sacred Samoan knowledge but without all the drama with the gods and not quite so intense. However, it made for good theatre and a great dining experience and the first time for myself and family.

A big shout out goes to my colleague from our Samoan language class who gave out complementary tickets to the event to our class and it was so special for us to attend on our different times. It also reminded me of the very special time that I was able to spend with other like minded students wanting to learn more of the Samoan language even if it was for beginners.

Now looking forward to our graduation where we'll be meeting again together. Believe it or not, I don't have a qualification in Samoan. So this is pretty special to me as I have now three degrees and working on completing a 4th one but none in my own indigenous or native first language.

This was my first but will not be my last as I look forward to joining more Samoan courses (as I have in the past but never in receiving a qualification or certificate) and looking forward to meeting with more like minded people who enjoy learning more about Samoan language and the fa'aSamoa...

No comments:

Post a Comment