Wednesday 16 September 2015

A life changing conversation with Maria Fastnedge...

 Have you ever had that life changing conversation that you know changed the direction of your life? For some people it's the alter call at a Christian convention, or it's a spouse who walks out and doesn't want to come back or it's making the best decision between changing jobs or two difficult things in life etc.

For me, it was a conversation with Maria Fastnedge at Pacific Business Trust on the 23rd of January at the beginning of the year and when I least expected it as being a writer/author/self-publisher were unspoken dreams that I only thought about for over 20 years but never really expected that it could happen to me. That was until I met Maria...

Initially, I considered cancelling the meeting because I'd already planned to take out the girls to the beach to celebrate my youngest sister's birthday (whose name also happens to be Maria) but then in remembering that I had a meeting scheduled I thought it would only be an hour so I'd be back in a jiff. I wasn't expecting much but boy was I so wrong...

Around two hours later, I returned home with my spirits lifted, I packed our beach gear into the car, the surprised girls into the car and drove to the beach (a little late) but with a new song in my heart and a new direction for the rest of my life.

Our conversation was significant because up until that time I had only entertained the thought of self-publishing and had been considering it but it seemed so hard and there were so many uncertainties but after our conversation I knew it was possible and with her positive attitude and ideas, it gave me the kick start that I needed "for such a time as this".

Immediately upon returning from the beach, I started painting using the canvases that had been waiting for me. I reworked through the text that I'd started writing the year before for "Sina and the Tuna" and began working through the steps of contacting a printer, considering the fonts, working on a cover design and letting go of the self-doubt (one of the biggest hurdles that I overcame).

And now, 8 months later with 3 books in two genre self-published with another book launch next week and with 3 more launches planned before the end of the year and with book readings started in schools with two more author readings in schools in Samoa and Hawaii (Oahu) planned before Christmas - I thank God for a special woman who took the time to talk with me and gave me that 'permission' to think outside my square to step out in faith and act and to her I will be forever grateful.

I wish special blessings to her and her family and I think women such as her need to be honoured as they go about their daily lives, sharing and giving so much that sometimes we need to honour such special women and say 'thank you' and may God bless you that as you pour out to others may you be blessed abundantly too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment