Sunday 20 September 2015

Early writing influences... CS Lewis, JR Tolkien etc.


On TV last night I watched one of CS Lewis' books on film and it made me reflect on what were the early influences upon my writing was because as a child, I was an avid reader and if you couldn't find me outside playing on my bike in the sun or on a swing, you'd often find me curled up with a book which sometimes got me into trouble.

So the school library was one of my favourite places to go before our local public library was open. I'd go to the library not only for art books on how to make things (yes, I was 'crafty' from a young age as is one of my children) but I loved reading books in series like Enid Blyton's 'Secret Seven' series, her 'Wishing chair' series, CS Lewis' 'Narnia' series, Beverley Cleary's 'Beezus and Ramona' series and into High school it was JR Tolkien's 'Hobbit' series, SE Hinton's 'Tex' series etc,

And now in my writings, I'm writing different series with different genre: firstly with bilingual picture book series on ancient Samoan stories for preservation; lately with a play series that I wrote for South Auckland high schools - 6 in total with a 7th play that hasn't yet been performed; I have couple of poetry collections; a short story collection; and a novel series that I hope to Indie publish over the next two years and that's before I can publish some new material.

Yes, there is a method to this madness but like many writers, it is about sharing the writing journey with readers and I have such a long way to go but in a few shorts months I feel like I've developed in leaps and bounds with now the Indie publishing underway I'm looking forward to what the future holds....




No comments:

Post a Comment