Saturday 7 January 2017

Donating blood since 1980s...

 One of the community services that I started back when I first started at University in the mid 1980s was in becoming a regular blood donor. In fact, the services would come at least annually and a whole lot of University students would line up, including me, to give their "pint of blood".

Back then most of us would do it, not only to assist our communities but also for the free chocolate biscuits and cordial that they would give out for donors before (if you hadn't had breakfast) and after giving your blood donation. I remember one particular time that I did it and I had just come out of the my regular gym session and it was a cold winters day and the nurse laughed at how warm the blood seemed. I laughed it off and explained that it might have to do with my full on gym session.

I also remember that I gave so often, well over 20 sessions (I was told yesterday) that my arm shows evidence of having had some needle sessions with a depressed area where the nurse chose to continually dig their needle in. So no, I've never been a druggy, so don't judge a person because of their needle scars :) ha ha.

But since starting my family, I haven't been as regular and it was especially due to an incident when I gave blood and the next day I had a very bruised arm where the nurse had been digging around to get the best position for blood flow. From then I vowed that I wouldn't be back for quite some time but because I know that it helps, I do from time to time give if it feels right.

I know that for some cultures, it's not right to give blood as it is sacred and for some religions such as "Jehovah Witness" they refuse blood transfusions due to a similar belief. I do have mixed feelings as often I do wonder about whether as a Christian it's mine to give in the first place as it is very sacred but I've also had family members go into surgery and have blood transfusions and I'm very grateful that those people did.

Again, yesterday when I went into the give blood the nurse started to move the needle for a better blood flow and today I see that there is bruising again, so it's going to be quite some time before I'll be donating again but still am supportive of being able to support an organisation that helps out others.

Do you or would you give blood?

No comments:

Post a Comment