Wednesday 11 January 2017

Rewards in being a writer/author...


One of the greatest rewards of now being a writer is seeing some of my books on library shelves or discussing ideas in the books with readers and sharing the backgrounds about the stories that do get to print because often, as a writer, there are so many stories to share but only the most relevant get to print.

It's also a privilege to have my book sit alongside other writers of whom I've admired growing up and also in different genre as some of my books in to the picture book/teaching resources section and the play scripts and poetry collection is categorised in the literature/fiction section of the library.

So yesterday when I was in a local library with my eldest child, it was a pleasant surprise to view the books on the shelf. I remember, starting in primary school, that I loved to go to the library to choose books to take home with me to read. I was a prolific reader at the time and I'd often get in trouble for reading after the lights were meant to turned off at night.

I also enjoyed taking out craft books on how to create pieces of art and even origami books (Japanese art of paper folding) as I enjoyed creating images out of paper and going through the process of following instructions and problem solving to recreate a final artwork that matched the picture.

In fact, I remember as a young girl sometimes sneaking off to read a good book when everyone else was busy in the kitchen or doing chores because I didn't like to put a good book down. I would liken it to going on a journey in a dream and not wanting to be disturbed until the very end.

So that is why I write for a number of audiences i.e. the picture books for children or visually stimulated people (like myself), for youth in my plays and for those who like to think deeply about things in my poetry collections and upcoming short stories and novels.



No comments:

Post a Comment