Monday 30 January 2017

"Hidden Figures" movie review and other hidden figures...

I really enjoyed watching the "Hidden Figures" movies about some of the stories of African American woman who worked at NASA in the 1950s in an historical time when there was a race for space i.e. a race between Russia (USSR) and America to be the first country to set a man on the moon.

This movie was based on a book that I had heard some woman talk about in my EdD class (she's a science major) and I wanted to read it but just got to busy to read so decided to watch the movie instead. It's definitely an inspirational movie about overcoming obstacles and never giving up and one which some of my students also watched.

The movie follows the story of 3 African American women in the prejudice and racist times of America, in a time of segration, who worked in NASA, of which I hadn't been aware of, and we discover that they each made significant contributions to being the first nation to set a man on the moon when most people thought that it was only through Europeans' contributions in the USA.

In teaching the Indigenous Research course, I can't but help wonder about the other "hidden figures" and that's the absence of what I'm calling the "invisible people/stories" of the indigenous people of the land. As in NZ, Samoan are often toted as a group who had significantly contributed to the NZ arts, educational, political etc. communities alongside Maori as the indigenous people but with the ative Americans, or first nations peoples, their presence are often absent in US movies.

I highly recommended movie that will not only inspire but enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment