Thursday 21 December 2017

Library reading programmes for kids...

One of the neat gifts that I've passed onto my children is the joy of reading as this was something that I really enjoyed growing up.

Granted that not everyone enjoys reading but I certainly did and now doubly as a writer and illustrator in sharing my love of books with the next generations.

However, as an educator, I also know how with video and smartphones, some children are less likely to pick up a book to read or a magazine and would rather play games or watch videos on their phones.

Another known fact is that children can actually go a step back in their reading if they don't continue reading their reading throughout the summer holidays and that's where the local libraries Summer reading programme called 'Dare to Explore' comes in.

For the past few years, I've encouraged my children to join up at the local library to read books, complete a reading log, finish tasks in their special book (as pictured above) and take to the library to be endorsed by the librarians. At the end of the holidays and after a minimum number of tasks are reached then the children are invited to a summer party and it's an enjoyable time for all.

I've been to a number of these parties with my kids some of which involved climbing up a tall rock wall, a talent quest, food shared, prizes and lots of fun. It's not for everyone, especially if you're not a reader but it does reward time spent reading and it's supposed to be a great de-stresser too for adults.

So why not give the smartphone of rest and pick up a neat book to enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment