Monday 11 December 2017

Shared lunches making memories ...

 Back from Melbourne and straight into Christmas parties and shared lunches, prize givings and Christmas planning. Just finished my last weekend teaching and looking forward to graduation for my students for next year.

It's been a while since posting any food or recipes etc. as I'm not really a foodie but I do enjoy the occasional cooking with a little bit of a difference. Like my youngest telling me about having a shared lunch which is banned in some schools due to unhealthy food choices i.e. junk food choices that some children make.

The choice made by my youngest was to make kebab sticks and so marshmellows and strawberries were her obvious choices and I added small balony sausages and cheese, grapes and chocolate pineapples (as pictured above) with a bowl of grapes, cheese and marshmellows in the middle of the bowl for seconds.

A similar recipe actually featured in one of my short stories in a collection that I published in an anthology this year in the Mana Mangere writers collective collection. The short story was called 'Sunday school party' and it was similar to what my mother made for me many years ago when I was at primary school and like my youngest, the plate didn't last long as everyone enjoyed it.

I remember my youngest walking proudly to school with her big bowl as featured above and then returned with an empty bowl and a big smile of satisfaction that she had made a food choice that the class had enjoyed. It also put a smile on my face as it was relatively easy to make and there were some health (and a couple of naughty additions) to the kebab.

Sometimes we don't think about the food choices we make for our children for shared lunches but I will always remember that special lunch plate of kebab sticks that my mum made lovingly for me. I don't remember eating any as it went to the teacher but I do remember how she made something that was a treat that we didn't usually eat at home but that it was special and that thought stayed with me and was written into a short story...

No comments:

Post a Comment