Saturday 16 December 2017

Daddy's Home 2 movie on fathering in the 21st century...




Almost forgot to write about another movie that we had viewed in Melbourne at the Crown Entertainment centre in Melbourne city on the last day we were there. Not my usual movie to watch but as we were killing time before our late evening flight, this was the only movie that was on at the time.

So if you're like a bit of comedy and don't mind watching 4 men talk about fathering, then this is the movie for you. We had watched Daddy's home 1 as a TV movie that week, so it was interesting to see how they extended the plot by adding the grandfather dimension into an already awkward situation.

I think it was better than I had expected although it had the usual sexual references that a lot of movies seem to think that they need to have to keep the adult audience interested (really?) but the storyline was plausible with a lot of blended families and especially the role of the father diminishing over time but also realising that it is a holds a very significant place in families and indeed in society.

I think what I learnt from the movie is that it's really important for a father to take their fathering role seriously and as I reflect upon my own father, I am thankful that he did take his role seriously and provided me with a firm foundation upon which to build my own family's understanding around. 

Because as we see in society today, if a father doesn't commit to his role as a positive role model within a family, then often the children will pay dearly but when a father does commit to being responsive and loving to his children, they will reward him with pride and joy. Like the biblical saying in Proverbs that says: A wise child brings joy to a father but a foolish child brings sadness to the mother...


No comments:

Post a Comment