Friday 15 June 2018

PILOT Pacific Islands Leaders for Tomorrow family dinner...

Last night I attended the 9th PILOT 'Pacific Islands Leaders of Tomorrow' family dinner for Year 12 students and was quite surprised that this entity existed.

That could be because I've been involved in an indigenous learning institute instead of mainstream education for several years but it was such a neat initiative to learn about.

The initiative brings together key Pasifika liaison leaders in tertiary education institutions from around Auckland (and outside) to inform, inspire and disseminate information to Pasifika families about how to best enrol into the Tertiary education institutions of their choice.

Tonight I learn that there were many tertiary institutions that are in the PILOT initiative that I've been involved with or know of such as:
  • University of Auckland (I'm an alumni and worked there)
  • AUT University (I'm an alumni and taught there)
  • MIT Manukau Institute of Technology (worked and have studied there)
  • UNITEC
  • Ignite College
  • University of Victoria (Wellington)
  • other Pacific PTEs Private Training Establishments
There may be others that are missing but those were the only ones that I remembered. What I liked about the programme is that the committee is involved with bringing together Pasifika students from Year 10 - 13 from all over Auckland high schools on a one day programme and then a dinner for families. At these times the University graduates share stories of encouragement and tips on what to do and where to go and who to talk to in order to be able to get into the various courses for after Year 12/13.

Some of the information that I learnt was invaluable such as not knowing that most Universities will take Year 12 results as a indication of what the student is likely to get and will go from these in making their decisions about placement. I also learnt about scholarship dates being mid year rather than close to the end of the year which is what I'd originally thought.

So I'm writing to my school child's school to thank them for this opportunity and to encourage them to continue to strongly support this initiative as it is very beneficial for our youth and the families being informed about what to do in wanting to continue their education beyond Year 12.

I'd highly recommend each high school to be a part of this developing initiative and to encourage parents to ask about it as each school is left to decide if they want to send students into the programme and which students to be involved. Highly recommended to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment