Saturday 9 June 2018

Sponsor me on 'Oxfam Ration Challenge'... https://my.rationchallenge.org.nz/helen-tauau-filisi

This week I've started a 7 day Oxfam Ration Challenge beginning yesterday and with only 5 more days to go it's definitely been an eye opener.

A couple of months ago, I registered on the programme and received the ration pack/box a few weeks ago containing:

  • a can of kidney beans
  • a can of sardines
  • a packet of rice
  • a packet of lentils
  • a packet of chick peas
  • a bottle of cooking oil
  • a 'voucher' to buy a packet of rice (1.5kg)
  • a 'voucher' to buy a packet of flour (400g)
And now that I've had someone sponsor me, I've been able to add some spice which is my favourite Lemon Pepper, a spice that my mum introduced me to years ago and I haven't turned from it since and it definitely beats salt hands down.

This weekend also coincides with the World Vision's 40 hour Famine which is an event that I've participated in since the teenage years. It starts on Friday at 8 pm and then stops at 12 noon with a big lunch I remember over the years. 

This year, I thought to up the ante and support a charity with a challenge that needed to be brought to light as there are many refugees around the world who are often voiceless and left in the hands of the host society having often been forced away from homes due to war, a natural disaster etc.

I must say that yesterday is was very interesting to start with a bowl of rice and some kidney beans with some lemon pepper and this morning it was having 2 pancakes of flour and water with dinner still yet to be cooked.

It's really highlighted for me the issue that families have trying to survive on ration packs that are so important for their survival but for me realising that it's been a choice makes me want to gather as much support as possible for their plight.

So if you would like to sponsor me, please view my online challenge on: https://my.rationchallenge.org.nz/helen-tauau-filisi every little bit counts so whatever you are able to donate is gratefully appreciated. The $ directly to the organisation and helps refugees around the world. You are also able to try the Oxfam Ration Challenge yourself and help those who aren't able to help themselves...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment