Wednesday 27 June 2018

Winter 2018 Creative project - crocheting beanies...

I was first taught to crochet by my mum when I was very young as well as knitting and sewing. Of the three, crocheting is my favourite as there are so many things that you are able to make.

So when I was very young, I started crocheting small blankets so much so that my step grandma admired it and asked me if I could teach her as well as some aunties of which I did.

I remember watching her crocheting in Samoa and also in L.A. (USA) asking for bundles of wool so that she could make blanket spreads.

I remember also teaching my little brother, but then he lost interest and now it's time to teach my youngest to crochet as I remember I must have been about 7 - 9 when I first picked up my first crocheting hook.

Some of the things I remember making when I was very young were dolls clothes, scarves, shawls (when I was a lot older after learning from my mum again) table placement mats and dolls blankets and shawls etc.

And every year, since having children, I've dedicated winter to different projects i.e. scarves, blankets for each child and my latest project is making up beanies. So far I've crocheted around 6 of them for my parents, husband, sister, myself, and daughters and it's a lot of fun watching them grow and trying different colour combinations as well.

My lil' one says that I should open up a beanie shop, but then that would take the fun out of it as I just enjoy having toasty warm ears and head on a cold winters day with my beanie on. Again, never a dull moment..

No comments:

Post a Comment