Thursday 25 May 2023

American Idol Winner 2023: Iam Tongi...

 

Congratulations to Iam Tongi who's the first Pasifika person to just won 'American Idol' this week in the United States.

I remember watching his first video when he auditioned and sang a song by James Blunt that I hadn't heard before but was so beautiful that it brought me to tears in thinking about losing my own father a couple of years ago.

But then to make it all the way through the heats and then to actually get to sing with James Blunt? Wow! What a blessing! and his journey, I think, brought a lot of hope for people in that he was still mourning the loss of his father of whom had shared his love of music with his son and that Iam carried on despite that difficulty.

It was amazing to watch his journey and listen to his very distinct tone in voice. He always came across as humble, down to earth and not at all contrived. So very much Pacific and also Tongan. It was even touching that he dedicated songs to his late dad and mom, and kept true to himself through his song choices.

Already, I'm told, his first released song is no. 1 on ITunes and wishing him all the best for his future. It was really touching to see who he also shed tears whilst singing with James Blunt (I sure did!) but James held his own as it was a song very close to his heart about his dad too. You just have to view the video that I did when wanting to see the origin song to see the love that James Blunt had for his dad.

For me it reminded me of the relationship that I had with my late dad and I think Iam's story resounded with so many in those special people that come into your life for such a time and then must leave when they've been called to their heavenly homes. 

I'm just so glad that I got to hear this song sung by both artists and that in mourning the loss through grieving the loss of special dads - many of us could relate and it brought us comfort and good memories in remembering that we then carry their baton to share that love for another generation...

No comments:

Post a Comment