Tuesday 9 May 2023

First day teaching at MIT Manukau...

Today, was the first day that I taught my class at MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology) in Manukau at their new campus there. (See pic besides).

It is a fairly new campus and it was quite interesting to see the five levels which have an open space at floor level and then rooms including class rooms surrounding the four walls.

I like the space except that they have these new open classrooms where there might be three classes sharing a space and you can see everyone in the other classes (you can hear them too).

It's the new concept of open classes which they are promoting in primary and new builds in secondary schools as well. I personally don't agree with the concept and prefer the ability to be able to close walls albeit with sliding doors if it's more appropriate with the noise control.

Except for that, I enjoyed the new space and the challenge of having to walk from the shopping mall carpark, where it's free, to the complex. The walk helps to up my goal of 10K steps per day and gives me exercise between sitting sessions when teaching classes online through Zoom.

And then the rain started pouring and I walked to the shopping mall to do some banking and received an Auckland Emergency alert that there was flooding in parts of Auckland. I drove home to make sure that my family was safe, and they were but saw that some local schools had let their children out early and they were soaked in the rain in trying to get home. (Not a very wise choice).

I also then received an email that the campus that I had just been teaching at was closed due to flooding and that they had to close the campus down whilst they investigated it. As below the campus, there is an underground train terminal for people to connect with trains if they are wanting to visit other local areas...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment