Friday 19 June 2015

First Aid training - you never know when you might need it!

Completing my 2 day First Aid training today with my colleagues at work and it gives me that piece of mind that I don't need to panic should something happen that needs to be attended to. First we're told that it's about saving peoples' lives in doing something rather than nothing.

We were also reminded to remember the acronym S.T.O.P. which stands for:
S = Stop and assess the situation
T = Think! What things need to be done
O = Observe what possible dangers/hazards might there be?
P = Protect yourself and those around you.

We also got to learn the rhyme "30 to 2 no matter who!" for C.P.R. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation which involves 30 pushes on the sternum of the chest to 2 breaths to the mouth from babies through to adults. Its just the pressure applied that's different i.e. 2 hand compressions for 8 years to adults; 1 hand compression for 1 - 7 year old children and 2 finger compression for babies from 0 - 1 year.

So glad I've attended this two day training as my last training was over 3 years ago and already some of the details have changed eg. the song that we were asked to remember was "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees being the rhythmic beat to which one would be compressing the victim's chest.

I remembered on one occasion how an elder of my birth church when I was in my 20s died in church after preaching a sermon even when we had a doctor on site (one of the congregation members) and ambulance officers came and they tried to keep him alive using C.P.R. and then a defibrillator but he died on the scene. It taught me to always be aware of what can happen at any time. It's high on the training that I always like to keep up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment