Thursday 18 June 2015

Lychee, Litchie, 'dragon's eye' (exotic fruit) yum!

The first time that I've ever seen a lychee or 'dragon's eye' as it's been called was today. I've tasted lychee drinks before at a Vietnamese cafe but didn't know what the fruit looked like until my younger sister directed me to have a taste of one that our work colleague had brought from a Asian shop (she's Indian).

Anyway, it was very interesting to see in that when you peel off the outer brown skin, it looks like a membrane and at the core is a dark stone which gives the appearance of a pupil of an eye.

My South African colleague calls it a 'litchie' and in Niue, my Niuean colleague calls it a 'tava'.Wow! I've learnt a lot over such a small fruit that I've never seen before. Am taking some home to introduce to the children much like pomegranates that I introduced to them that is now imported into New Zealand.

I think I would say that I like all fruit especially mangoes and pawpaw from Samoa or even Brisban, even 'Vi' is Samoa is like a Samoan apple.

The other fruits that I like are pineapples which I can just about eat with anything from drinks to burgers and with meat etc. It's also seasonal fruit that I enjoy with family i.e. citrus or grapes, kiwifruit or watermelons. One can never get sick of/from fruit with so much variety...

No comments:

Post a Comment