Sunday 14 June 2015

It's just a game!

 Yesterday, I went to watch my eldest's soccer club game. She's the only girl in a boys team that she's been with for the last 3 years. I remember starting her off with ballet classes for a couple of years when she was younger which she enjoyed but this game definitely keeps her fit and dedicated to training. She's a defender and loves the training and the game. Her team is coming second in their table and they had been training hard in knowing that they were to play the no. 1 team.

However, yesterday I witnessed adults on both sides getting aggro' as the game was quite fast and heated. In the end, our team lost by one goal but I think that the adults who were yelling at each other really were the ones who'd lost.

I like the poster pictured above that one of my friends posted on her Facebook page that should be put up at matches as a friendly reminder:

1. THESE ARE KIDS - and it's a bad example to them when they see adults yelling at each other from opposite teams.
2. THIS IS A GAME - sometimes and most often than not I've observed that adults spoil the game and often forget that it is not a life and death situation.
3. THE COACHES ARE VOLUNTEERS - and should be respected for taking time out to help the next generation to learn these skills.
4. THE REFEREES ARE HUMAN - and will make mistakes. They are definitely not perfect and if you can do a better job then you should be Ref.
5. THE IS NOT THE WORLD CUP - so don't sweat it! just let the kids have fun and win or lose well.

I find that some dad's take the game real serious and put a lot of pressure on their sons and it saddens me to see when these young men are being put off because some dad is trying to live his dream through his son. But when it's a team effort with the dad encouraging and cheering on the son - I see young men rise to the challenge.






No comments:

Post a Comment