Monday 22 January 2018

A new routine - Gym!...

The gym where my 'New Year's Resolution' 2018 is cracking...
 I have a new routine that started last week and it's keeping a New Year's resolution that I made many years ago - ha ha ha. Yes, it's going back to the gym and it's been neat so far. Plus there was a 25% discount for the year if you join up this month so that was a neat incentive to get serious and make a start.

I must say that over the years one of the hardest things since being fit and having our last baby was the motivation to get everything sorted and now that I have, it makes me wonder how I was able to do it at all. So now as well as my work bag, I also take a big workout bag that contains:

  • My gym gear for the workout including: pen/gym notebook, shoes/sox, gym clothes, gloves (for the weights)
  • water bottle and small towel for sweat
  • watch/fit bit and key tag
  • office clothes to change back into, hanger
  • toiletries: soap/shampoo/conditioner, towel, comb
One of the things I've learnt after many years of going and then not going for ages is start with an assessment and then work out a programme (or get someone qualified) to write up a workout plan for you. One thing also to keep in mind is not to burn yourself out in the first week or even day and then not attend anymore.

The programme that I've decided to go with is a 6 day split body workout over a week with some Cardio. It's a fairly simple workout that will ease me back into things as follows:

Day 1: Warm up / Stretches / Upper body workout / stretches / cool down
Day 2: Warm up / Stretches / Lower Body workout / stretches / cool down
Day 3: Warm up / Stretches / 20 mins Cardio / stretches / cool down
Day 4: Warm up / Stretches / Upper body workout / stretches / cool down
Day 5: Warm up / Stretches / lower body workout / stretches / cool down
Day 6: Warm up / Stretches / 20 mins Cardio / stretches / cool down
Day 7: Rest up and Chillax

So far I'm up to Day 5 of my 30 day self-challenge with a re-newed outlook and a lot more energy than I used to have. In fact, in the first day, I could feel my muscles tingling as well as realising how stiff I'd become in not stretching much over the months, years so it's back to training those muscles to come out of their hibernation and to give it heaps.

I must also remember about the usual health warning to go and see a Doctor if you haven't been exercising for ages if you're taking any medication but other than that give it a go and you'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

I must say that the endorphins definitely kick in after the workout and the best part of the workout for me over the years has been the long shower afterwards which is by far my favourite stretch :) So why not give it a try and do that 30 mins workout whether it be gardening, dancing, walking, yoga, hiking etc. you're body is your friend for life...

No comments:

Post a Comment