Wednesday 3 January 2018

Family Reunions 2018...

Image result for family reunion 2018 This year I'm planning to attend two family reunions: one in Samoa mid year on my husband's side of the family and father's (my late grandma's side) nearing the end of the year in Auckland.

Family reunions for Pasifika families was a phenomenon that grew in the 1990s to where many branches of families have now had more than one reunion. I've been to a couple of family reunions and it's been a time of reconnecting with family members, sharing stories memories and stories and for younger family members to get to know each other.

I'm looking forward to the family reunions this year and have some special family books that I'm hoping to be able to complete for the reunions. At my grandma's family reunion we are hoping to launch a book with some of the stories of lessons learned from her to pass onto the next generation with plenty of photos too. I'm also working on my father's stories growing up and some of the memories and thoughts that he has to pass on too.

With the planning committee, there is definitely a lot of organising to do like booking a venue big enough to hold the various families, activities to share, food and catering, presentations etc. There's also fundraising of $ for the various food and activities and a programme for the days booked.

Yesterday, we had our first official family reunion meeting with lots to discuss and plan for. So glad that I'm part of a family who are very well organised and work well together. And starting to work on my side of things to assist in helping with the smooth running of the events. 2018 - Roll on!...

No comments:

Post a Comment