Sunday 21 March 2021

An old 'birdie' 1970s song...

 

Now this song is a throwback that goes way back to the early 1970s and for some reason I recalled it today after many years (maybe some 40+ years of not singing or hearing it). That's what's so amazing about our brains is that there are so many memories that we may not be able to recall but in song form they are somehow filed away ready to open up on demand.

So I found myself singing this song that I must have recalled from my childhood on the radio as I don't ever remember singing it at school. And the interesting thing is that the song discusses about people going missing and especially the mother and it's sung in a catchy way but it begs the question about why was this song sung?

I'm not sure what the original intention of the song was but it would definitely not be one that would be encouraged to be sung in school. The catchy tune probably made it popular back in those days but I don't think that it would be P.C. (politically correct) enough to sing about a mother leaving (I assume children behind).

It was also interesting to note the singer's clothing back in the 70s which reminded me of the Swedish ABBA group and some of the outlandish clothing they could get away with wearing back in the 70s much like the style of clothing that the lead singer of this song wore that we could never get away with these days...


No comments:

Post a Comment