Wednesday 17 March 2021

Recruiting for Tikanga course level 4...

 

This is the last week for recruiting for a Tikanga (Maori cultural traditions and protocols) level 4 course at Te Wananga o Aotearoa with an Indigenous Research lens.

This is the course that I've been teaching for the past 3 - 4 years since 2018 with the two prior years of teaching Indigenous Research.

Now I'm able combine both and it's been an interesting journey for me as a kaiako/tutor and as a tauira/student at two Wananga (Maori tertiary institutes of higher learning) i.e. Te Wananga o Aotearoa (my place of work in Tamaki Makaurau/Auckland) and Te Whare Wananga o Awainuirangi (my place of studying through based at Whakatane).

I must say that it has helped for me to position myself as an Indigenous (SamoaNZ) Researcher and I've learnt so much about myself, my gafa (family genealogy) and culture since teaching this paper.

I would definitely highly recommend this paper for those working in the community as the level 3 Tikanga paper has been attested for cultural competency i.e. in that studying these tikanga papers from level 3 - 6 supports the learning of understanding bi-culturalism and also from my Indigenous Research perspective, a multicultural perspective.

It is a 36 weeks (one academic year) course with Tuesday tutorials at either: 10am - 1pm or 5 - 8pm (with Zoom availability if not able to attend classes). It's also a FEES FREE course which means that you don't have to pay course fees.

We have 8 weekend noho marae with all meals, transport and accommodation paid for from Friday evenings to Sunday at lunch whereby we go on fieldtrips to Marae, Museums, sacred sites, places of interest or importance to develop an understanding of Mana Tangata (people), Mana Whenua (land/s), Mana Ao Turoa (developments), and Mana Reo (Indigenous language/s).

So if you or anyone you know of would like to know more information you are most welcome to contact me via email on: helen.filisi@twoa.ac.nz or mobile (021) 0411 328. It's been an exciting journey for many students and you are never too old or too young to learn... 



No comments:

Post a Comment