Tuesday 17 August 2021

Going into Lockdown level 4 at midnight for at least 7 days...

 

Today, I had to finish my class early as one of my adult students informed me that they had heard about a 6pm announcement that the Prime Minister would be telling us about a lockdown.

I, therefore, finished class early for my students to be able to listen to the announcement with their families and also for me to quickly return home and check on all members of my two households to ensure that all were accounted for.

Lockdown 4 basically means that each household must stay in their 'bubble' with minimal contact with anyone outside their bubble.

All schools will be closed, all takeaways and businesses must be closed with the exception of supermarkets, petrol stations, dairies with only one person from each household to go shopping.

The NZ government is taking this 'hard and fast' approach as today it was revealed that an Aucklander was found positive with their COVID-19 test. Across the ditch in Australia many states have had lockdowns but with many people not heeding the calls to stay home and people have been getting with this new variant and some even dying.

The concern is that this may be the first of many who have yet to be tested in NZ but have the Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus. This could potentially be very dangerous for our community and so the lockdown is for all of NZ for 3 days from midnight tonight.

Panic buying had already started in the early evening as soon as people found out but for my family, I decided to check stocks and await until tomorrow to pick up my shopping from the supermarket with an online order.

As for the rest of the week, I won't be going to work and will be working from home and catching up on all manner of things that need to be complete. I'll also be Zooming in different meetings and keeping in touch with my loved ones at my other household to ensure that everyone is safe.

It's a timely reminder to check on our loved ones, our neighbours and the elderly or most vulnerable to ensure that they have support systems in place. Also looking after our pets is really important as they too need to be taken care of in these trying times. So stay safe out there and take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment