Wednesday 4 August 2021

Kia Orana! celebrating Cook Islands language week...

 

Kia orana! This week NZ is celebrating the Cook Islands language week. As seen the in Ministry of Pacific Peoples poster on the left, there are now nine Pacific language weeks that are celebrated throughout the year.

This week I've seen many women and children walking around with Ei Katu or a garland of flowers (some real and some frabic) that are worn as a head dress to show their affiliation to the Cook Islands.

You don't have to be Cook Islands to wear or make one and I am currently making some (which I'll blog about later) as a part of a raffle for fundraising for a couple of groups that I belong to.

As I was privileged to have been able to take the opportunity to attending a workshop that invited women to learn about how to make them and when I attended there were Tonga, Samoan and other ethnicities represented.

I even made some and took them to Samoa to celebrate some special occasions with family members. It seems to elevate the occasion of celebration in wearing flowers that are so beautifully grown in our Island nations.

I'm so thankful in being able to make them and it's been a blessing in attending a church where I have Cook Islands friends within the congregation of whom I've known for many, many years. A big 'meitaki' or thank you to them for their beautiful friendships...



No comments:

Post a Comment