Wednesday 18 August 2021

Pre-lockdown to Day 1 of level 4...

Yesterday, before I even found out about a lockdown, I attended our Ministry of Education funded (Innovations workshops) a neat workshop on making 'Elei' or Samoan printed designs onto material.

What I discovered was our Aoga (Samoan bilingual Early childhood centre) had an 'upeti' or a wooden carved out panel with Samoan designs.

This was an amazing find as these are hard to come by unless you know of someone who can make these up or can source from Samoa where they are even scarce too.

What I like about this upeti is that children are able to use it and can view this important motif that is my particular favourite of all Samoan motifs. 

It's the four leaf-life motif that I'm currently re-framing in the next 3 upcoming Samoan bilingual books that mention siapo or Samoan tapa for passing on this information for next generations. As I'll be framing borders that will utilize siapo or tapa patterns into the books.

So that one of the things that I'll be doing during this 7 day lockdown is beginning to frame up the artwork for all three books and seeing what it will look like. As I'll be changing up the media that I'll be using and moving into using markers. All thanks to my lil' sis' Maria for bringing me up to speed...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment