Monday 23 August 2021

Stay calm and make sushi...

With the "Stay calm" posters, I thought to change it up as yesterday was day 5 in Alert level 4 lockdown. Our household decided to make sushi to whet our appetites.

I, personally, haven't made sushi in a long time and not since my children were in primary school when I remember making some for the shared lunches that they had.

But since schools have changed their food policies and there are fewer shared lunches plus the fact that my children wanted to take shop bought snacks, I didn't make large batches of sushi anymore.

This was quite a special occasion in not having made them in such a long time plus the fact that they are relatively easy to make, compared to the prices that you usually have to pay in the shops that cost quite a bit if you are buying for a family or a group.

We decided to make sushi with avocado, grated carrot, surimi and cream cheese because I had forgotten to buy other ingredients. Yum! I'd definitely recommend that you buy a sushi kit at your local supermarket which usually includes the main ingredients i.e. rice, vinegar powder, seaweed mats, wasabi (hot!), soya sauce and a bamboo sushi roll mat.

In fact, I'd quite forgotten how to roll the sushi to a compact size but after a couple of attempts, it got much better and the effort was well worth the wait. The pic above is a sample of some of the sushi that were devoured last night with the only missing - pickled garlic!

I even remember the first time I bought sushi at the University of Auckland, those many years ago, where I had lunch with some friends and thought that it was about time I tried it. When it came to the wasabi, I thought it was a type of guacamole or avocado and swallowed it whole! Wow! was I in for a ride. I ended up drinking up the coke bottle that I'd bought which probably just made it worse and couldn't believe what just happened.

So, if you are want to change it up a bit during lockdown and try something new to taste, you can order the sushi kit online with your choice of additional ingredients i.e. sliced cucumber, chicken, tuna, mixed veges etc. It's relatively healthy (depending on what you put inside) and your family might just thank you for it...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment