Tuesday 10 August 2021

Stan Walker all time favourite Maori male artist...


 Today, I was listening to some music and came across this beautiful waiata/song by my all time favourite Maori male artist, Stan Walker. He has such powerful and controlled vocals. A real gift from God and this song just transports you to another level.

The lyrics are as follows (below) as shared on his YouTube comments board by 'Megan'. These are not easy words to sing about in knowing what so many Maori have gone through in the dispossession of their lands (confiscated and stolen), the colonisation that's happened in NZ and disheartening in how as indigenous peoples of NZ, they have lost out on so much.

However, this song paints another picture of pride and strength. A warrior people with much to look forward to and Stan inspires many through this beautiful song. Gave me chills just listening to it with my eyes closed... Enjoy!

He kākano āhau I ruia mai i Rangiātea And I will never be lost I am a seed, born of greatness Descended from a line of chiefs, He kākano āhau Ki hea rā āu e hītekiteki ana Ka mau tonu i āhau ōku tikanga Tōku reo, tōku oho-oho, Tōku reo, tōku māpihi maurea Tōku whakakai marihi My language is my strength, An ornament of grace Ka tū ana āhau, Ka ūhia au e ōku tīpuna My pride I will show That you may know who I am I am a warrior, a survivor He mōrehu āhau Ki hea rā āu e hītekiteki ana Ka mau tonu i āhau ōku tikanga Tōku reo, tōku oho-oho, Tōku reo, tōku māpihi maurea Tōku whakakai marihi My language is my strength, An ornament of grace, An ornament of grace, An ornament of grace, An ornament of grace.....




No comments:

Post a Comment